Thursday, April 24, 2008

Strange behaviour with Service Pack

Recently I installed Windows XP Service Pack3 Rel1 (en_windows_xp_service_pack_3_release_candidate_1_x86_60967.exe) in my PC. I restarted the system. But it is not able to boot at all. All my efforts went to vein. I asked few of my friends. Then I came to know, F8 key is used to select different mode of booting.

Different startup modes:


  1. Safe Mode

  2. Safe Mode with Networking

  3. Safe Mode with Command Prompt

  4. Enable Boot Logging

  5. Enable VGA Mode

  6. Last Known Good configuration

  7. Directory Services Restore

  8. Debugging Mode

  9. Disable Automatic restart on system failure

  10. Start windows normally

  11. Reboot

  12. Return to OS choices Menu


From Directory Services Restore option, I got following information.
"STOP: c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found}
The procedure entry point GdiGetBitmapBitSize could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll"


Then I searched in the net and I came to know, this problem affects many users. Solution - Original Post . This issue happens with 3311 build of XP SP3. You need to do following steps.
1. Boot from a Windows CD and go for the repair option.
2. Copy gdi32.dll from c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll to c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll. (Do keep a backup copy of the old gdi32.dll in c:\windows\system32 directory)
3. Reboot normally

I am not an expert in OS installation. It is very hard to follow these steps. I have done after few restarts and now able to work on my system.

Steps involved:

  1. Put your windows XP CD

  2. Restart the system

  3. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del for 5-10 seconds.

  4. CMOS setup will be opened.

  5. Go to Booting priority and set first priority to boot from CD/DVD drive.

  6. Screen will ask to type any key. It means, it is booting from your CD.

  7. Select Windows Repair option

  8. System will load few files from CD and it will ask "Do you want to continue" in command prompt.

  9. Type 1 in the command prompt. If ENTER is pressed, booting will be cancelled.

  10. Type cd System32

  11. Type ren gdi32.dll gdi32.dll.orig

  12. Type cd dllcache

  13. Type ren gdi32.dll gdi32.dll.orig

  14. Type cd \windows\servicepackfiles\i386

  15. Type copy gdi32.dll C:\Windows\System32\

  16. Type Exit



Then System restarts normally. I uninstalled SP3 as first job. Now my system is working fine. Due to this issue, I am unable to use this system for 4 days.

I used to check versions of softwares in our application. We need to specify clearly the version and Service Pack /Fix pack of all required softwares in Software Requirements.

No comments: